Saturday, March 21, 2009

Dhaka Hygiene

On my way to work along Biswas Road, I always notice the buildings, the people, and the general milieu that gently rolls by my car. Today my eyes were drawn to the generously large pile of rubbish at the fork of the road. It wasn't the rubbish that attracted me, no, it was the presence of a vegetable mart right NEXT to the rubbish pile. Now, when I say next I mean it was literally two yards away from the rubbish. The putrid stench alone must have some adverse affect on the vegetables. And I also noticed one man was using a bottle of water to wash his hands right at the corner where the pile begins. But this image alone captures the standard example of Dhaka city hygienic practices. That is, there is none. The ground upon which people throw their rubbish is the ground upon which people buy their daily groceries. Who should be blamed, educated, horrified? Aren't we all at fault for letting these practices flourish?

1 comment:

Akkel Khan said...

ahahaahaha you should read what i wrote about poo

http://www.dailyfreepress.com/kazi-the-royal-flush-1.1718356