Monday, March 16, 2009

Community Nurturing Children

My next door neighbour has a new nanny for her young daughter. The nanny accompanies the young daughter to and fro from school, playground, and I'm positive even has a potent presence inside the home too. The nanny is her nanu. When I realized her relation to the young child, I was reminded of Hillary Clinton's famous statement that 'it takes a village to raise a child'. Sure, she did not invent that concept but borrowed it by observing the typical roles and behaviourial patterns of family members in developing worlds, yet the statement bears truth.

I remember growing up within an extended family. Even though I only have a single older brother, much of my childhood and adolescence were filled with cousins, uncles, maternal grandparents, and aunties. My parents' absences were swiftly and effectively filled in by my aunties and nanu, who ensured I did not become wayward without proper guidance. A bulk of my childhood was spent with my grandparents who shared wonderful and poignant stories, lessons, and dreams. As a result, I feel I am a perfect composite of the memories and influence imparted on me by my deceased grandparents.

The American method of sending their aged-parents to nursing homes or fancy communities is personally quite disturbing. Instead of utilizing the available sources of assisstance, wisdom, and guidance, the older generation are, instead, shipped off to the nearest camp where they can live out the rest of their lives with others of similar fates. That is truely a major under-utilization of potent, priceless, and positive influences on future generations.

1 comment:

alibabs said...

Hi Tisa!!!
Its true, we are so lucky to have been brought up in joint families where so much value is placed on relationships. I too grew up with my grandparents for a while and those were some of my happiest years. I agree families should try to stay as close together as possible. Its a priceless support network for every member at every age.
I'm not averse to elderly homes however. Its a place where senior citizens get to socialize and discuss things with people their age. They receive support in a friendly environment and dont need to move into someone else's house (son/daughter) and feel guilty, which is what happens often. I think its liberating for them. It is important, however, to stay in touch and spend as much time possible with them.
I personally would LOVE having my father live with me :).
I'm glad you took the time to celebrate families and our golden grandparents. They have a love and wisdom you cant get anywhere else :) thank you