Friday, September 11, 2009

On inspiration, writing, and fellow writers

Inspiration is always tricky. You can never foretell when you’ll be jolted by a powerful electric surge that sends you into a frenzy of creativity. Or what. It can be the most trivial object that you sighted upon the road, it can be a name, word, or even a lore that you happened to hear or read or watch one day, or it can be a life story of another being that you must capture in words. In essence, inspiration is difficult to define.

Writing is indeed a solitary activity, as many writers will attest. Writing involves sequestering yourself from the world, immersing yourself into a make-believe world, and plunging deep inside fictitious characters, stories, histories, plots. I often wonder if writers find it difficult to distinguish between the imagined world and the real world. Writing involves dedication and discipline to the art and joy of simply writing. It can be pretty exhausting as well. But just writing, just to be able to express a feeling, an idea, a person, an event, or even just a thought can be beyond cathartic.

You never know what to expect when you meet other writers. Writers are known to be eccentric and temperamental creatures. I am fortunate enough to know a group of talented writers who have become close friends and supporters. I have found associating with these fellow writers have cajoled forth inspiration lurking in the corners. I have found while writing alone, I am always mindful of the encouraging words and constructive criticism of my writing by my fellow writers. In short, I have found that while I may write alone, I am always comforted and encouraged by the inspiration I derive from my writer friends.

Every writer should have a network of wonderful and artistic writers that I have. It can be so rewarding and refreshing to bond with writers who are keen on crafting human stories. There is no greater joy than to know madcap writers who are obsessed about finding that perfect word, line, tone, pitch, adjective, verb, to describe perfectly the thought.

No comments: