Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Islam and Homosexuality

I watched quite a poignant film at our workshop today. The documentary is titled "A Jihad for Love". The documentary displayed the lives of several Muslims who are homosexuals. The aspects of the film that stood out for me are:

  • The people identified themselves as devout Muslims. They religiously practised and observed the rules and regulations of Islam. Yet they were quite candid about their homosexuality.
  • The people attempted to reconcile their lifestyle through the Quran. Instead of (mis)interpreting the story of Sodom and Gomorah as God's punishment against homosexuals in general, the South African Iman interpreted it as God censuring the sinners who were engaging in transgression against human rights. I, for one, am more inclined to believe the Iman's interpretation then accept the Quran vilifies homosexuality.
  • Finally, most of the gay folks in the film had absconded to different countries for refuge due to harassment or violence experienced within their own countries because of their identity.
Personally, I found the folks dedication to their religion quite interesting. I suppose as I don't define myself through my religion, I found others' constructions of their self via Islam quite an innovative outlook. However, their tenacity to accept, define, and believe in the righteousness of their own lifestyle and path was sheer inspirational. Why should their choice, their right to be who they are be denied, invalidated, abused, and censured by others, let alone by religion itself? 

No comments: