Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Aarong Is The New Hot Spot for Blind Dates

I've heard from several people, and people who are quite close to me, insisting that Aarong has become the new hot spot for prospective couples/families to meet and greet and check out. Wow! Imagine that? If finding the right prospective partner isn't hard enough, now you have to subject yourself to be viewed, appraised, accepted and or rejected in a public sphere.

It's bad enough if you are supposed to be meeting a guy/girl at such an awkward open space, but what happens to your self-esteem when you have to encounter and endure a prospective partner's entire family gawking at you from a distance? Do you meander around the bags and shoes racks feigning interest? Or will bags and shoes make you seem materialistic? Or is the cookery section far fitting, suggestive of domesticity?

How do you dress for such an occasion? Going to Aarong, couldn't be, and really shouldn't be the highlight of anyone's day; but when you are engaging in a preview of yourself to your inlaws, shouldn't you be dressed to the nines?

Let's proceed and say you are already at Aarong and you surreptiously spy a prospective family checking you out. What happens now? Do they approach you, do you smile demurely at them, do you talk at all? How are you supposed to emphasize your beaming personality and glorifying IQ? Do you deftly display your stunning abilities to manuever you way through the throng of people, picking out all your items, grabbing the salespeople's attentions when needed, discovering and reaping hidden discounts, bypassing the mad dash to the checkout line, and completing all of these stellar feats just under five minutes?

Honestly, how much of you can a prospective family derive from a meeting under such superficial circumstances?

Here is an honest account of a meeting between two prospective inlaws and a prospective bride taking place at her work environ (i.e. bank). Under the ruse of the two aunties opening up "new accounts" at her bank, the women chatted up the young lady, digging out all necessary information and impression based on her physique, her mannerism, her accent, her words etc. The young lady, dressed to the nines (I have been repeatedly assured), wittingly knowning beforehand that she would be placed in such a predicament, answered and charmed the two aunties thoroughly. Thus, when time came to depart, both parties concluded with positive results. And I should add that that young girl is currently shortlisted to be shown to the lucky bachelor as soon as he arrives in town.

Maybe banks should be labeled as the new hot spots for blind dates being far ideal, effective, and offering quieter ambiences than markets.

4 comments:

Adina said...

Great blog Tisa! I so agree with you.. Its happening often lately. I can't imagine going through the whole arrange marriage process. Its so degrading for me. I would be insulted if I had to showcase myself at Aarong. The in laws checking you out from far ahead and then accepting/rejecting you based on your outside appearances..

Tisa said...

Glad you liked it :) But I cant imagine subjecting myself to such a traumatic and possibly degrading situation myself...but many girls have opted for that..and you gotta admire their bravery!

Dazzlingsitar said...

Love the Blog!!!! I remember when i went to aarong last time i was in dhaka some family was checking me out. So I asked my aunt to see if it wasn't just in my imagination...When she noticed it too, she comically welcomed me to the latest avenue of ways of getting into matrimony. Lol...

Francois said...

Shoot! I knew I had to spend more time in Aorong before to leave Dhaka :) Too bad there isn't the dairy section in the shop!